Sludge Treatment Facility
The Sludge Treatment Facility (STF) in Hong Kong is one of the world's largest sludge incineration facilities. Combining the expertise and competitive edges of water and waste management of Veolia, STF is equipped to treat a maximum of 2,000 tonnes of wet sludge per day.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Veolia, VW-VES (HK) Limited was awarded a design, build and 15-year operation contract for the Environmental Protection Department of Hong Kong SAR Government in 2010. It provides the most effective and economical solution to tackle the challenge of sludge disposal.
- The wave-form and streamlined design reflects the seaview in front and ridge lines at the back
- 14MW of electricity generated from incineration will power the plant, up to 2MW of surplus electricity will be exported to the power grid
- Seawater desalination plant produces potable and process water for the needs of the plant. Wastewater will be treated and reused to achieve zero effluent discharge into the sea
- The plant houses an Environmental Education Centre with public facilities, such as lecture theatre, exhibition area, spa pools and footbaths for engaging the community and public education purpose
- State-of-the-art incineration and flue gas treatment technology to ensure the treatments meet the highest environmental requirements and stringent emission standards