With the second edition of the Impact Awards, Veolia raises the bar in terms of ambition! The award-winning projects are all solutions to turn the tide and meet the challenges of ecological transformation.
The Impact Awards, organised across all regions of the Group, aim to recognise inspiring existing projects that demonstrate a balanced impact on the five aspects of its multifaceted performance: environmental, economic and financial, commercial, social and societal. For this second edition, more than 100 projects applied from the Group's 14 zones. The 14 finalists selected (1 per zone) pitched their project before the jury, who appointed 3 winners and a special prize. At the same time, more than 12,000 Group employees voted for their favourite projects.
Sinopec, the Yanshan project: an environmental efficiency model
Veolia is helping Sinopec, Asia's largest petrochemical company, to reduce the water and carbon footprint of its Yanshan site near Beijing, China, as well as restoring biodiversity and a nearby wetland to improve the living environment of local residents. This industrial water recycling project illustrates the ecological transformation of this petrochemical complex.
- Environmental: water recycling avoids 1,277 tonnes per year of oxygen demand (a water quality parameter). And 96,000 items of data are collected daily to improve site performance.
- Economic, financial and commercial : revenue of €120 million per year.
- Social and societal: 900 jobs created. Zero lost-time accidents in 2020.
The winners of the second edition:
- 1st Prize: La Mé, drinking differently - Ivory Coast
- 2nd Prize and Resourcers' Prize (placed equal): Sinopec, the Yanshan project: an environmental efficiency model - China
- 3rd Prize: Rob'Inn, nothing escapes this innovative robot - France, Recycling and recovery of waste (RVD - Recyclage et valorisation des déchets)
- Special Jury Prize: Vertig'Ovation, a longer life for pipes - France, Environmental maintenance, Industry and Building
- Resourcers prize (placed equal): BioNGV Conversion, drive with biogas - Czech Republic